10/5/24

Helene's impact was widely felt across the Carolina's, especially in Asheville, NC.


Jason and I are okay.  We were without power from Friday morning at 5:52 a.m. until about 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, so about 86.5 hours.  It was a bit rough in terms of keeping our phones charged and the humidity but I consider ourselves extremely lucky considering that the power being out was our only inconvenience.  We had a medium size tree in our backyard uproot but no damage to our house or anything of that nature.  I just went grocery shopping yesterday as I've had to work this week but also, wanted to allow my refrigerator to get back to temp as well as make sure the power was actually going to stay on.  I went out fairly early (around 6 a.m.) because I knew with it being Friday and with more and more people getting their power restored, it was going to be madness out there.  I tried going to two grocery stores, but they were taking cash only.  I went to the bank and withdrew some money but could only get it in increments of $100 as that's all the ATM had left in it.  I was fortunate enough to get just about everything I needed - I also filled up on gas.  Anxiety came over me a bit as I endured these minor inconveniences because I began worrying about what it would be like in the weeks to come with stores, banks and gas stations being able to keep up with the supply and demand.  I found myself praying to God because I know he'd help me get through this but also expressed to him in the process that I felt guilty and selfish for doing so because in comparison, my situation was minor to those in Asheville.


My heart is truly broken for Asheville.  Roads, jobs, stores, banks, homes are gone.  Lives are gone.  The death toll is nearing 250 people and that's not even the ones who are still missing.  Rainbow bridge, where many clipped their late fur babies collars to symbolize them passing over rainbow bridge dog heaven is destroyed.  As the relief efforts progress, they are trying to also recover these collars in order to rebuild the bridge.  People have lost their children.  On TikTok, I seen an interview that a women did with the news.  Her, her parents and seven year old child were stranded on a roof top surrounded by water.  The roof eventually caved in and the water carried them away.  Her sons body was recovered, but I'm not sure about her parents.  She was in the water for five hours - she prayed and God told her to let go of the tree she was holding onto.  She realized that was her only chance at being found.  Once she let go and let the water carry her, a man had found her and rescued her.  I can't even begin to imagine what she is going through - my heart really goes out to her and the many others that are experiencing the same thing.


There were 1.5 million people without power in South Carolina alone.  My job didn't hold it against those who couldn't make it into work this week, gave out free bottles of water and ice to those in need and have also gave each of us 10 hours of volunteer PTO specifically for Helene if we wanted to donate our time to help those around us affected.  Some places of employment offered showers, meals and electricity to families of the workers who needed it which is also amazing.


In my prayers, I'm definitely keeping those significantly impacted by the storm at the top of my prayer list - I hope these people are able to find peace and resolution as they navigate this difficult time. 


Post a Comment

© A Bright Sunshiny Day. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.